AP Photo/Michael Dinneen
The Foreign Ministry added that initiators of unilateral forceful scenarios should bear all the international responsibility for their consequences.
MOSCOW – Strikes by the United States and its allies against targets in Syrian territory require not just formal notification of Damascus, but Syria’s consent or the adoption of a corresponding UN Security Council resolution, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
“In connection with the just-started operation by the United Sates with support from some other countries to deal rocket and bombing strikes against the positions of the terrorist group Islamic State in Syria the Russian side recalls that such actions can be carried out exclusively within the framework of international law,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said. “This implies not just unilateral formal notification of strikes, but the existence of an explicit consent from the Syrian government, or the adoption of a corresponding UN Security Council resolution.”
“Russia’s fundamental position on the issue was confirmed by Russian President Vladimir Putin on September 22 in a telephone conversation with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said. “The struggle with terrorism in the Middle East and North Africa requires concerted action by the whole world community under the auspices of the United Nations. Attempts to attain one’s own geopolitical aims by violating the sovereignty of countries in the region merely fuel tensions and destabilize the situation further.”
“Moscow has warned more than once that the initiators of such use-of-force scenarios bear all international legal responsibility for their consequences,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
“Attempts by US, its allies to attain geopolitical aims by violating other countries’ sovereignty fuel tensions, destabilize situation over Syria,” the statement said further.
Earlier on Tuesday, a spokesman for Syrian Foreign Ministry reported that the United States has informed Syria’s Damascus on strikes at positions of Islamic State gunmen in Syria.
“Americans informed the Syrian representative at the United Nations that strikes will be delivered at Islamic State positions in Racca,” AFP news agency quoted him as saying.
Associated Press reported with reference to American officials that five Arabic states were also taking part in the air strikes on ISIS militants in Syria. These are Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
Meanwhile, according to Reuters news agency, Qatar plays only a supporting role in this operation.
Earlier, Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby reported that The United States and its allies launched air strikes on the positions of the Islamic State.
“U.S. military and partner nation forces are undertaking military action against ISIL terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles,” Kirby said. “Given that these operations are ongoing, we are not in a position to provide additional details at this time,” he added.
The US informed Syria’s UN envoy Bashar Jaafari that strikes would be delivered against positions of Islamic State terrorists in Raqqah, the news agency SANA quotes a Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman as saying.
According to the Al-Arabiya TV channel some 20 targets were hit in Raqqah, eastern Syria, and around it. Reuters said dozens of militants were eliminated.