Saudi warplanes have carried out fresh airstrikes on northern Yemeni villages, killing more than 50 civilians, Houthi sources say.
The Shia fighters said on Sunday that Saudi jets fired more than one-thousand missiles at the region along its border with Yemen, Arabic language Al-Menpar news website reported.
“There has been a massacre committed by the Saudis in the district of Razeh in the (northern) Sa’ada province, this morning (Sunday),” a fighters spokesman who identified himself as Ali was quoted by AFP as saying.
“The town of Al-Nadheer was targeted by air strikes and 54 civilians, including women and children, were killed,” he added.
According to Al-Menpar “US-made weaponry” is now being used by the Saudi army against the civilians in the region.
Although Riyadh insists that its raids are only aimed at targeting Houthi positions, Saudi warplanes continue to target civilian areas in northern Yemen.
Meanwhile, the US special forces have reportedly been sent to Yemen to provide the national army with training services. The US Air Force is also said to have been sporadically pounding the northern areas since Monday.
The Houthis said US attacks on Thursday killed 120 civilians, among whom were women and children. Also on Saturday, a report on the Houthis’ website said that three civilians, including a woman and a child, had been killed in fresh air raids carried out by US warplanes.
The attacks have so far left scores of Shia civilians killed in the war torn region and thousands of others displaced since Yemen launched its offensive against the fighters in August.