During what was apparently a joint presentation by the Russian missile manufacturer Almaz Antey and the Russian military in Moscow, raw radar data was apparently released which allegedly disproves Ukrainian claims that MH17 was shot down by a BUK missile launched from militia controlled territory, and specifically from the town of Snizhnoe from where the Ukrainians claim the BUK missile was launched.
The data thereby supposedly confirms that only the Ukrainians could have shot down MH-17.
Apparently the data does not identify the missile launch point or make it possible to identify the type of missile that shot MH17 down.
However Almaz Antey has previously identified the missile as an early generation BUK missile of the sort it says is no longer used by the Russian military, and it claims to have identified the launch point by scientific tests as the village of Zaroshchenskoe.
Satellite data previously published by the Russian military shows a BUK missile launcher belonging to the Ukrainian military near Zaroshchenskoe shortly before MH17 was shot down. The authenticity of this data has been repeatedly challenged, but it has up to now consistently stood up to independent examination.
There is an exhaustive investigation undertaken by someone who identifies himself merely as “Andrew”, but who appears to be based in the US, on the basis of Ukrainian television reports, satellite data and contemporaneous social media messages.
Andrew has confirmed beyond reasonable doubt that on the day of the tragedy Zaroshchenskoe was under Ukrainian military control, and that there is a high probability that a Ukrainian BUK missile launcher was indeed located there.
Figure 1 – Russian Ministry of Defense map of Ukrainian BUK-M1 deployments in central Donbass on July 17, 2014.
Figure 2 – Russian Ministry of Defense satellite image of Ukrainian BUK-M1 vehicles deployed south of Zaroshchens’ke Village, Donetsk Oblast.
I should say that Almaz Antey and “Andrew” are far from being the first people to claim publicly that MH17 was shot down by a BUK missile launched from or near Zaroshchenskoe.
On 6th August 2014 – ie. just weeks after the tragedy – the Saker published a report sent to him by someone called “CDN” – who he says has professional expertise in accident investigation.
He identified the BUK missile launch point as “near Shakhtorsk” – the town nearest to Zaroshchenskoe – which clearly identifies the Ukrainian BUK missile launcher that Almaz Antey and Andrew both say was at Zaroshchenskoe as the one that was responsible for the tragedy
The latest information from Moscow seems to be in line with the information previously provided by Almaz Antey, “Andrew” and “CDN”, though it will require careful study by those possessing the necessary technical knowledge before one can say definitely whether or not that is so.
However the problem with this new data is that it has been produced very late, on the basis of raw radar data which supposedly has only now come to light, and is being made public just two days before a Dutch led team is due to publish its own report. That inevitably means that some will dismiss this new data, claiming that it has been faked.
I presume there are ways of proving whether or not that is so, but even if there are, and even if it is proved beyond reasonable doubt that the new data is genuine, I doubt that will be enough to convince some people.