The Ottawa Initiative on Haiti 2009
A one-day conference taking stock of Canada’s role in Haiti since 2004
Saturday, February 28th
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
University of Ottawa
85 University (Jock-Turcot Building)
- What role can the Haitian Diaspora play in rebuilding Haiti?
- What Happened in February 2004, when Haiti’s elected president and parliament were all removed from office?
- What have been the impacts of the 2004 coup?
- What role has Canada played in Haiti since then?
- What might be US President Obama’s “Brother’s New Deal” for Haiti?
Designed in the spirit of dialogue for healing and reconstruction, OIH 2009 is a bold Haitian-led initiative; a space to engage in inspiring, fruitful and real inter-generational debate on some of the most pressing questions facing the future of Haiti today.
· Camille Chalmers, Haiti-based Economist, PAPDA
· Michel Chossudovsky, Director, Centre for Research on Globalization, and Professor of Economics
· Edwidge Danticat, U.S.-based Haitian Author, “Krik? Krak!” and “Brother, I’m Dying”
· Carlo Dade, Executive Director, Canadian Foundation of the Americas
· Raymond Dubuisson, Ottawa-based Haitian Statistician & Radio Host, CHORHA
· Patrick Elie, Haiti-based Political Analyst, Former Haitian Secretary of State for National Defense
· Jude Jean-François, Ottawa-based Social Worker and Radio Host, Member of AKASAN
· Marcus Garcia, Haiti-based Veteran Journalist with Haiti en Marche and Mélodie FM
· Peter Hallward, U.K.-based Author, “Damming the Flood: Haiti, Aristide and the Politics of Containment”
· Michael Keefer, Associate Professor, University of Guelph
· Marguerite Laurent, U.S.-based Haitian Writer, Lawyer & Performance Poet
· Stu Neatby, Ottawa-based Labour Organizer & Member, Canada Haiti Action Network
· Kesner Pharel, Haiti-based Economist
· Jean Erich René, Ottawa-based Haitian Agronomist
· Jean Saint-Vil, Ottawa-based Haitian Writer & Member, AKASAN and the Canada Haiti Action Network
A prepared lunch will be available for purchase at this free event.
Presented by: AKASAN, Ottawa Haitian Students Club, Ottawa Haiti Solidarity Committee, SFUO Ottawa
Presented with the support of Global Research (CRG), OPIRG – Carleton, No-War-Paix, ASCORCAN, Territorio Libre, Ottawa-Cuba Connections
Info: (613) 482-2549 / [email protected]