CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Thu. Nov. 19 2009 11:07 PM ET
More than 100,000 doses of the H1N1 vaccine were withdrawn Thursday, due to a warning that one particular batch of the vaccine had a higher than usual amount of adverse reactions among patients.
Vaccine manufacturer Glaxo Smith Kline has asked several provinces to set aside 170,000 doses of a particular batch. One or two allergic reactions were expected in patients getting the 170,000 doses, but health officials recorded six adverse reactions.
“We’ve been asked by the manufacturer Glaxo Smith Kline not to use this vaccine at this time, pending further investigation,” said Dr. Joel Kettner, Manitoba’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, at a press conference Thursday.
There have been a few sporadic reports of reactions around the country, but officials have stressed that the benefits of the shot far outweighs the risks.
Still, experts say the allergic reaction is worrying.
“It is a serious thing that has the potential to kill — but fortunately seems to be relatively rare,” said Dr. Neil Rau, an infectious disease expert, in an interview with CTV’s John Vennavally-Rao.
Outside of Manitoba, about 1,500 doses of the vaccine were sent to Ontario, but officials say that none have so far been administered.
VIDEO: Batch of H1N1 vaccine causes adverse reactions
To View CTV Video Report Click Here