Will Dick Cheney be Arrested in Canada on War Crime Charges?
Dick Cheney to Visit Toronto October 31, 2013
–Time for the law to step in–
Join the campaign to have Dick Cheney either barred from Canada or arrested and prosecuted if he enters.
Lawyers against the War and the Canadian Centre for International Justice succeeded before the UN Committee against Torture in 2012.
Let’s work together to enforce the CAT recommendations.
Reports available here:
Dick Cheney, Former Vice President of the United States and accused war criminal is scheduled to give the keynote address to the final luncheon of the International Economic Forum of the Americas on Halloween, Oct. 31, 2013, at 12 noon at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. http://forum-americas.org/toronto
Cheney was scheduled to speak in the very same Toronto locale last April but cancelled due to fear of demonstrations.
This decision was made in response to the vigorous protest against his visit to the Vancouver club on September 26th 2011 to promote his book.
LAW plans, with your help, to take the following actions:
1. Send a letter to Canadian authorities (War Crimes investigation unit; Prime Minister, Ministers of Justice, Immigration, Foreign Affairs, opposition party critics of those departments) outlining Canada duty to either prevent Cheney from entering Canada or arrest and prosecute him on arrival.
2. Prepare a press release stating our intention to call on Canadian authorities to comply with the law.
3. Prepare a Cheney fact sheet regarding his authorization of torture with accompanying poster and/or video.
4. Identify the Toronto hosts and their sponsors and ask them to withdraw the invitation5.
5. Write to Mr. Cheney advising him that, being a torture suspect, he is person non grata in Canada and that if he enters.
6. Ensure that Canada complies with the June 2012 recommendations of the United Nations Committee against Torture to:
a. arrest and prosecute Dick Cheney—as a foreign national suspected of torture—on his arrival in Canada; and,
b. ensure ‘direct access’ by all persons to invoke universal jurisdiction against foreign torture suspects present in Canada.
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED. PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.